My summer has officially started now and so I’m going full steam ahead with my commission work which has been building up a bit in the last couple of months. Currently I am creating 2 animations for the university and also just finished designing an infographic style poster for a lovely lady called Kath at my university who runs a scheme called The Cardiff Award. It’s an employability award that I took part in this year and I luckily got the chance to create a poster for her to go to a conference with and help advertise.
The poster needed to fit in with the existing branding and be visually appealing & informative. As the first poster project I have done it was an interesting challenge. Have a look and see what you think!
This is one of my first experiences with large format (this is designed to be printed A0) so there was a bit of a learning curve! I decided to use Illustrator to make it because I was worried about the text becoming pixelated in Photoshop when it was blown up so huge and I think it went ok! I had to pay much more attention to the sizes of images than I usually do and pay extra careful attention to ensure nothing would look pixelated when it was finally printed.
Overall I’m happy with the result and I think Kath is too 🙂
For the next week I’ll be busy animating for the university, I’m doing two short videos for the Widening Access department for them to bring to schools and present to GCSE and A Level pupils who may be thinking about university.
On top of that (!) I’m hoping to enter a competition being advertised by UCAS, which closes on 30th June – gulp, that is to produce a 30 second video about what you love your degree. I do Maths so I’m hoping to make something interesting out of it! I’ll post the video on here if I get round to entering 🙂
For now I need to run off – lots of work and very little time!
My latest commission was a video for a society at my university who are called Cardiff Racing. They are comprised of engineering students and build cars every year from scratch to race and compete against teams from other universities. They wanted a short promo video to send to potential sponsors and to give a quick introduction to who they were.
This was a first venture into video and video editing which was challenging but fun. I enjoyed working on the project and learning a LOT about Premiere Pro.
Obviously there are some issues which I am aware of, but overall I am pleased with how it came out and hope that the team are able to use it to get some new sponsors and raise awareness of what they do!
So, whilst I’m on here updating you about my 2013, it would make sense to mention what was probably my biggest achievement of the year. I was asked by my university (Cardiff University) to create an animation for them called “5 Reasons Students Love Cardiff”. You can watch it below.
Creating the animation was such a huge project for me, the first of anything like it that I have done. Here are a few of the stills from the production process.
The process was based on how I have animated in the past – creating and colouring in line drawings frame by frame in Photoshop. This meant I had to save almost every time I drew a line or coloured in a small section which did get quite frustrating. There must be an easier way!
Does any one else animate in this way or have any suggestions?
In an exciting turn of events I actually got asked to do another commission following on from a potential client seeing this video. This animation is now finished and I am hoping to share it with you as soon as it has been released by the company!
This is a short one from November of Ben and I, done at 3am and drawn after picking up my pen for the first time in months. Maybe I’ll finish it on another late night.
This is yet another interesting venture into a new style of illustration I have been developing a lot recently and one which you will probably see more of!
This was a time crazy with revision and work so not a lot happened, here are a few sketches that did find their way out though.
This was an experiment into creating images by cutting out pages, and using cut outs to create further images.
This was a quick sketch interpretation of a piece of writing I have done. It is Part One of a three part series which I would like to upload in full once it is completed.
This was another experiment, to see how cross hatching worked as the night sky. It is a lot less troublesome than ‘colouring’ the whole sky in a pen drawing but it gives the impression of darkness still.
I was a little sad about the amount of work I got done in this period but I enjoyed what I did do, and they have provided some inspiration for future work.
The moving to uni week. I am so so sorry that it has taken me so long to catch up everyone, moving to uni has taken all my time – plus I couldn’t figure out how to work the internet for about 3 days – sigh.